Tuesday, October 29, 2013


One stormy and very windy night in July, which Cody and I and the girls all slept through, something major happened in the front yard. We woke up that morning to a huge tree branch in the middle of our street. Not just a little branch, it was literally 1/3 of the tree. It was so huge that it completely blocked traffic from passing down the street. That morning, we called the city to learn that we were responsible for clearing the branch, but they would send a tractor to push it to the side of the road to allow traffic to pass until that night when we could chop it up and haul it away. Sigh. 

It looked like a lot of work.

Luckily, we have great neighbors!!! In addition to them wanting it out of their front yard as bad as we did, they are genuinely nice people. A few chainsaws were brought along with some strong arms and it was cleared in a matter of a few hours. Also, can't forget to mention that my intern at work was called and there in a matter of minutes to push Annie around the block while we worked outside. Seriously, it takes a village people. 

Fast forward to nearly a month later. Poppa to the rescue. They were able to make it to our house on Labor Day weekend to assist in cutting the tree down. For the record, Mr. Man of Buchanan Ave thought that we could simply drop the tree whole and all - and the Mrs. of the House was telling everyone that it was going to be impossible to do so. Poppa apparently was listening more closely to the Mr. Man of Buchanan Ave and was thinking it would be a simple project. He pulled up to a beast of a remaining tree. Was not going to be that simple. 

While many people enjoyed beach days, camping, amusement parks, fishing, or simply lounging on Labor Day weekend, I was lucky enough to have my parents willing to come and tackle this project with us. Surely, it would have been nice to get projects done around their own house or relax with family, but instead they headed west to help us out. Along with a few interested neighbors who were quite intrigued at how we planned to accomplish this on our own. 

A good majority of action occurred the first day of the project. But there got to be a point where it just wasn't safe for my Dad or the houses nearby to proceed without machinery to assist in getting higher into the tree to tackle the beast. With a few phone calls made by friends who knew friends, we were able to get this handy lift for the morning. Also lucky for us, that friend was comfortable heading up into the tree with my Dad to control the lift while he cut trees and my husband watched from below! 

Seriously people. There was SO MUCH tree to be taken down still. Loads upon loads of hauling to the dump and cutting and roaring of the chainsaw. It was pretty intense.

Not to mention a few VERY close calls and some actual injuries. My husband has decided (he knew this before, but's it's apparently official now) that my father is a machine. Apple didn't fall too far from the tree there as both of my grandparents on my Dad's side are like the energizer bunnies too.

These two did a lot of water fetching, playing, snuggling, cooking of lunches, and yes, Mom raked and helped haul branches too. So nice to have someone to occupy Little One's time!

And this was the FINAL piece. The standing stump! We actually ended up hooking it up to the pickup and pulled it down with that as Dad cut. Should have done that we a few other branches too. 

And there she is all trimmed down!

A HUGE thanks to my mom and dad for coming to tackle this project with us. Your sacrifice to helping us out around our home is something we are so appreciative of. And, yes, we will return the favor...as long as it's in the tree grove and not around the house. And that we involves more hauling and cutting than it does climbing up and cutting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think or give us a quick hello!