Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cereal Boxes

I know some folk (okay, so probably just my mother, mother-in-law, and Jen) are waiting to see what G's room looks like...but to be honest, I just haven't taken photos yet! (c :

I came across these pictures when I wrote the post about our photo wall. I mentioned that my Uncle Craig & Aunt Linda were visiting, so I thought I'd share a little bit more about their visit since it meant so much to me to have them come to our home all the way from the Minneapolis area...that's a haul, about a 7-8 hour drive.

As you can see in this next picture...these gals had it pretty rough.


Too stinkin' cute, huh? Grace had about 15 blankets on her, and woke up sweating. The grandma's on the sofa claimed to be "watching her" to make sure she wouldn't fall off. Whatever. I was in the kitchen "slaving away" at make supper for the evening. The boys, well guess where they were? Out hunting, of course!

The next few photos need quite an introduction and there is quite a bit of history to be told about this scenario. Read if you'd like...but pass if you'd like too. I know I'll enjoy coming back to this story in future years, and I'm sure my Aunt Linda will like this post as well, so it's mostly for her!

My Uncle Craig has always been "that guy." His humor is so fast, and so funny, that you often don't even know what to say or how to react. He is a great guy and I don't know anyone like him. I love it when my dad and Uncle Craig get together - they are always on each others case.

When I was little, Uncle Craig would always "torment" me, especially at the kitchen table. In my little mind, a solution was resolved. I put a cereal box right in my line of vision of Uncle Craig. So every time I came to visit, I'd always get my cereal box ready. It became a standing tradition and joke. For high school graduation, I received some cereal boxes and a funny little note telling me that if anyone looked at me funny or gave me crap in college, I'd have these cereal boxes to protect me.

Well, when Grace was born, Uncle Craig came with a gift unlike any that Grace had received. It didn't have pink ruffles or lace on it. I opened the gift, and inside, were several of those miniature cereal boxes...the trial or travel type size...just for itty-bitty Grace. Too cute!

The first time that Grace needed to put cereal boxes up was last November when Uncle Craig came to visit...


Grace thought this story was pretty funny...So, every meal after this while Uncle Craig was there, Grace requested a cereal box.
I was so very grateful to have these two out to visit. They are a huge part of my life, and I don't get to see them enough. My Aunt Linda will forever be not just my godmother, but my "Fairy Godmother." She has a way to doing just the right things, and saying just the right things to make me feel special...she's truly a gem in my life. And Uncle Craig, I don't know if he's a gem, but he sure is somethin'!

3 comments:

  1. What a fun, unique memory to share with Grace! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) Thanks Rae! I'll never forget it, that's for sure. And I am sure that Grace now will always remember her Great Uncle Craig this way too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ;) Thanks Rae! I'll never forget it, that's for sure. And I am sure that Grace now will always remember her Great Uncle Craig this way too.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear your comments! Let us know what you think or give us a quick hello!